BreadcrumbsHome / Will Tutorial Make It Top 10? #1 Free iPhone Game in China Targets West
Will Tutorial Make It Top 10? #1 Free iPhone Game in China Targets West
Last Updated on Tuesday, 14 June 2011 08:00 Written by iUseMac Tuesday, 14 June 2011 08:00
Silicon Valley, California – Will a tutorial help an iPhone game crack the top 10 in the U.S. App Store? PunchBox, the developer of Fishing Joy and Fishing Joy HD, a free arcade game ranked number one in many Asian countries, certainly believes so.
PunchBox today is pleased to announce the pre-release of Fishing Joy 1.2 for iPhone and Fishing Joy HD 1.3 for iPad, their free arcade game ranked number one in China, Japan, Hong Kong, Singapore, Malaysia, Thailand, and New Zealand. Featuring some of the most impressive and detailed animated graphics seen in any iOS game, Fishing Joy allows one or two players to enjoy a clear, overhead view of schools of fish as they swim by, deep beneath the sea. The goal of the game is to fire nets and catch the fish that will bring the highest price. Nets come in seven different sizes, and each costs from one to seven coins when used.
Hoping to net a larger market in the West, PunchBox will debut an integrated, interactive tutorial in the game’s next version, due June 15. The video tutorial preceding the game will walk users through some of the finer points of the game, and introduce additional species of fish and new underwater scenes incorporated in the update.
* Hammerhead Shark – value 100 coins
* Stingray – value 60 coins
* Anglerfish- value 50 coins
* Sea Turtle – value 40 coins
* Red Snapper – value 30 coins
* Blue Hippo Fish- value 20 coins
* Clownfish – value 10 coins
* Teal Fish – value 7 coins
* Angelfish – value 4 coins
* Pilotfish – value 2 coins
* Hawkfish – value 1 coin
The more valuable the fish, the more difficult it is to catch. Players must weigh the chances of netting a big one, versus the cost in number of nets fired and the size nets required. A constantly running coin counter keeps track of the player’s profits, and the running coin regeneration rate counter tracks how fast depleted resources are renewed. Plus and minus buttons control the netting from level one to seven, and a power gauge slowly increases with greater wealth.
Players may achieve different titles as they proceed through various, increasingly challenging levels of play. An experience gauge records the length of continuous play, and an eye-catching fish parade occurs between levels, which offers the opportunity to add some valuable fish to the catch.
* Fire net from cannon to capture fish and earn money depending on the fish caught
* Canon automatically swivels to fire wherever the play taps on the screen
* Shell carrying net will explode on hitting any object – players must time their shots
* Coins are added between games
* Additional coins can be added through
* Reference information about local communications and emergency contacts
* Advice on how to stay healthy and safe
* 11 different colorful species of fish
* More than 25 different, highly detailed, animated fish may be viewed simultaneously
* Exotic undersea creatures including: stingray, anglerfish, sea turtle, starfish, lobster, etc.
* 7 levels of upgradeable fish netting
* Many undersea gameplay environments
* Laser canon destroys anything in its path – available once the energy reaches maximum
* Aquarium mode with vivid scene
* Remarkable graphic detail and enjoyable music
* Game Center support
* New multiplayer mode in version 1.2 accommodates players on opposite sides
* Optional instructional screens
* Free coins available via Tapjoy download of free apps
* Post scores on Facebook, Twitter or e-mail with integrated connectivity
“Given Fishing Joy’s runaway success in Asia, we are hopeful that our new interactive tutorial, coming in version 1.3 for iPad and version 1.2 for iPhone around June 17, will help more arcade game players throughout the world discover the game,” commented spokesperson Lei Zhang. “We are attempting to find the answer to the question ‘Will a tutorial help bring an iPhone game into the U.S. Top 10?’”
* iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch
* iOS 3.2 or later (iOS 4.3 tested)
* 48.4 MB
Pricing and Availability:
Fishing Joy HD 1.2 for iPad and Fishing Joy 1.1 for iPhone/iPod touch are free, and they are available worldwide through the App Store in the Games category. Players may purchase additional coins for gameplay as an in-app purchase, and there are eight coin packages available from $0.99 (USD) to $99.99.
With offices in Beijing, Tokyo, and Silicon Valley, PunchBox develops innovative mobile games. PunchBox’s mission is to bring the most addictive games to moobile users worldwide. Copyright (C) 2011 PunchBox Studio. All Rights Reserved. Apple, the Apple logo, iPhone, iPod and iPad are registered trademarks of Apple Inc. in the U.S. and/or other countries.