BreadcrumbsHome / Montessori Crosswords App Awarded by Children Technology Review
Montessori Crosswords App Awarded by Children Technology Review
Last Updated on Thursday, 14 April 2011 11:00 Written by iUseMac Thursday, 14 April 2011 11:00
Sophia-Antipolis, France – Independent children’s app developer L’Escapadou is honored to announce that Montessori Crosswords was awarded “Editor’s Choice Award for Excellence in Design” in Children Technology Review 2011 April issue. Established in 1993, Children’s Technology Review is designed to keep parents, teachers and librarians up to date on the latest children’s interactive media products. Editor’s Choice Awards are given to only the highest quality children’s products in the interactive media category.
Children’s Media expert Warren Buckleitner reviewed the app, and declared that “Unlocking the hidden secrets of letters and words just became easier, thanks to this well-designed collection of finger-powered word puzzles” and that “it is an extremely powerful early reading experience”. The app earned 4.8 stars -out of 5- overall rating and 5 stars in educational, design features and good value ratings.
Montessori Crosswords has been mentioned in the New York Times and Wired’s GeekDad. The App has a 4 star average rating on the app store, and over 25,000 downloads to date. Based on the internationally recognized Montessori learning method, the app helps young learners develop their writing/reading skills by building words from a set of pictures using a Movable Alphabet. The app includes audio for each word as well as phonics (letter sounds), and uses 300 word-image-audio combinations to create tens of thousands of different crosswords.
* 300 different word-image-audio combinations
* Letter Sound (phonics) when a letter is touched
* Three levels of phonetic difficulty appropriate for ages 3 to 8 (as defined in the Montessori method)
* Level 1 displays simple words for beginning readers
* Levels 2 and 3 automatically create multi-word crosswords in tens of thousands of different combinations, encouraging unlimited repeat play
* 21 Fun and colorful interactive visual effects are displayed when a crossword is completed. Visual effects animate and change as they follow your child’s touch
* Also included is a Movable Alphabet that allows open-ended activities for young children learning their letters. Letters can be rotated and re-sized to add to the fun
* Choose capital or lower-case letter display
* Displays the total number of completed words
* Compatible with iPad, iPhone and iPod touch
* Requires iPhone OS 3.1 or later
* 15.1 MB
Pricing and Availability:
Montessori Crosswords 2.5 is $0.99 USD until Saturday April 17th to celebrate the award. Regular price is $2.99 USD. It is available worldwide exclusively through the App Store in the Education category for iPad and iPhone.
L’Escapadou is a family design studio dedicated to creating fun, creative and educational apps for iPad and iPhone. Pierre Abel holds a PhD in computer science and has extensively worked on user experience design. His wife is a translator currently busy home-educating their daughters and helps in the design of educational apps. Watching their kids – 4 and 7 years-old – learn and play is their main source of inspiration for the apps they make. The studio was created after the launch of the iPad with the belief that the iPad can be a great tool for learning and creativity. Copyright (C) 2011 L’Escapadou. All Rights Reserved. Apple, the Apple logo, iPhone, iPod and iPad are registered trademarks of Apple Inc. in the U.S. and/or other countries.